- 1 round head lettuce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 6 Tablespoons vinegar
- Separate and wash lettuce leaves. Place in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. The mixture can be adjusted a bit according to your taste.
- Pour over lettuce. Use your hands to mix the lettuce well with the liquid.
- Let sit for 20-30 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate.
NOTE: The salad tastes better after a day of sitting in the refrigerator.
VARIATION: You can use a liquid sugar substitute instead of the sugar in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 m
- Cook Time: 0
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Course: Salad
- Occasion: Cookout
- Skill: Easy
- Special Consideration: Pareve
My Hungarian father makes this special Sweet and Sour Lettuce Salad, and my pickle-loving daughter gobbles it up. It is gentler than sauerkraut, but also dresses up meat sandwiches or makes a flavorful side dish.