- In the bowl of a mixer at medium speed, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined.
- Add in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, with a fork, mix the cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and flour.
- Slowly add it into the batter, you will have a sticky light orange colored batter.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for an hour. If you are pressed for time, place it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon.
- Using a small spoon, scoop up a spoonful of batter. Roll it into a ball between your hands.
- Roll the ball in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and place on the prepared cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
TIP: I substitute 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder for the cream of tartar and baking soda.
SOURCE: Kosher by Design: Entertains, by Susie Fishbein. Recipe reprinted with permission from Mesorah Publications.