Lemon-Poppy Seed Angel Cake
I like to serve this cake when I want to impress my guests. There is something a bit more sophisticated in its lite texture and gentle lemon flavor than many of my other baked treats.
Prep Time: 15 m
Cook Time: 30 m
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 12 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a large bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed 1 to 2 minutes or until frothy.
- Reduce speed to medium. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar.
- Increase speed to medium-high, and beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add poppy seeds, lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat 2 more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, sift together cake flour and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold flour mixture into the egg whites (mixing in one-fourth of the flour mixture at at a time).
- Pour cake batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cake top is lightly golden and springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert cake in pan, and cool completely.
- Using a knife, loosen sides of cake from pan. Remove cake from pan.
- Just before serving, whisk the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Pour glaze over cake.